Welcome to Polish Cure! A space dedicated to the pursuit of the perfect polish. I earmark magazine pages with manicures that make my heart pitter patter and will ship my cash abroad to find my most wanted shades. Share your polish stories with me and check out what I'm obsessing over.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chasing The Big 'O'

When it comes to making crucial appearance-related decisions I'm used to batting around situations such as how high a heel to wear as a bridesmaid (as not to inflict any unnecessary groomsmen-related emasculation) or determining how flashy is too flashy for a work-related function (as much as I love hearing a good ol' "Too sexy! Too sexy!" coming when I round the corner, work really isn't the place for it). Long story short, between Julie and I we usually have this shiznat on lockdown. We cover the what-ifs, we propose alternative styles, we pull out our best guesses and 9 out of 10, appear fab and prepared for whatever gets tossed our way.
However, just like the wise boys of the Temptations, I ain't too proud to beg or admit when I'm presented with a style conundrum that's got me second-guessing my instincts. Here's where Oprah comes in. See, the big 'O' is running a contest right now for some poor sap who thinks they are really interesting, to win their own show (for the record, anyone entering this contest probably thinks they are far more intriguing than they really are - here's looking at me).
The process for entering the contest goes one of two ways: upload a vid of yourself explaining why you should have your own show in three minutes or less or haul your ass to a designated city for an in-person, group interview and demonstrate you've got the goods. Now, if I've been told one thing about myself since pretty much birth, it's that I'm bubbly and/or energetic. As much as I'd like to think I could convey this in a video, I think I'm better off presenting myself "live" to these people. Likewise, I'm keeping my polished fingers crossed that I get paired with a group of duds so I can really shine like a fierce top coat.
So, come Friday evening Julie and I are loading up the car and heading to Dallas so I can shake my tail feathers for these Hollywood media types and hopefully get a call back for an on-camera audition on Sunday. Now here's the part that I'm struggling with: what color should the tips and toes be for this outing?
My initial instinct was to hit these people with my personality and rock that Essie "Turquoise & Caicos*" shade I picked up and discussed in my last post. Howevs, one must consider a little something called "on-air appearance." I already know I need to stay away from logos or crazy patterns on my clothes and of course, rock some flattering underthings so as to appear trimmer than I truly am, but what about the nails? Go with the turquoise Shelley-style shade or play it safe and go with the ultra-flattering, always chic, classic red**?
I think I know my answer, I mean, when courting the 'O' - a bit of an unconventional gal herself, who espouses being your "authentic self" - I think it's pretty obvious. Still, would love your feedback :) and of course, I'll take some snaps when I go in to get gussied up.
Wish me luck!

*Pic 1: "Turquoise and Caicos," is from Essie's 2010 Resort Collection (a few other kick ass shades in that collection btw). Bottom of the polish bottle says "Turquoise & Caicos" though the web site names it "Turks & Caicos." Also, pic credit goes to a fellow girl in pursuit of awesomeness at http://www.brooklynblonde.com/ - can we talk about how amazing her kitty cat ring is?! Me-ow!
**Pic 2: a standard, OPI's "Big Apple Red"

No comments:

Post a Comment